[pct-l] Message from Tattoo Joe re: Original PCT in Washington

Pearson stprsn at softcom.net
Mon Aug 20 17:32:22 CDT 2007

Joe asked if we could post this for him on the list to help clear up the
conditions reported on the original PCT route in Washington when he
hiked through.

(Joe says)
Since there will be a few others who will hike the original trail around
Glacier Peak, I will give more detail to its condition.

 From "Indian Pass" [mile 2508.9] north you will find that the trail is
in good condition to about "last crossing of a swelling creek" [mile
2517.9].  Before here and to the "White Chuck River crossing" [mile
2517.9] you will find some washouts and blow downs.  It is MY opinion
that these are minor and can be navigated without too much problem.  The
river crossing does have logs although the log at the trail is a bit
sketchy and should probably be avoided. I would like to also mention
that it was here that a north bound section hiker was going through his
food to see if he had enough to go back the other way.  I chose to go
north and never saw the outcome of this. From the White Chuck River, the
trail is only slightly overgrown to just after "open campsite by a small
bench, next to Mica Lake" [mile 2532.4]. From here the trail is washed
out in various spots that can be avoided by backtracking and cutting the
switchbacks.  There are some blow downs, but they are not too much to go
around, over and under.  I would expect that as hikers pass, the over
growth will get trampled enough to make things easier.  There are logs
over "Milk Creek" [mile 2534.8]. As you climb the next 2000 ft is where
the overgrowth was at its worse.  It will end about "Reach a ridgecrest,
campsite" [mile 2537.3]. From there the trail is in good shape to
"saddle on Vista Ridge" [mile 2540.6].  From here is where the fun
begins.  The blow downs from here to Vista Creek [mile 2545.3], are
something to remember.  As soon as you pass one there will be another.
Some are 8 ft tall and a couple of hundred feet long.  They also took
down other trees.  The trail is not hard to locate and really not in too
bad of shape otherwise.  It is tiresome and time consuming.  There are
nice logs across Vista Creek. There are only a few large blow
downs between the Vista and Suiattle Rivers.  There is a nice log to
cross the "Suiattle River" [mile 2547.6] upstream about 200 meters.
 From here there are a few more blow downs to about "Buck Creek Pass
Trail" [mile 2552].  I was surprised to see the trail crews had been a
little bit south of here though.

I would like everyone to know I had hiked this section twice before and
am real familiar with the area.  This made things easier for me.  I also
only carried no more than 10 lbs [total] at this point, and this also
allowed me to be more athletic.  The trail was much like a giant
obstacle coarse, but very beautiful and empty of others as well as their
traces.  I believe I found the most solitude in all of Washington the
day and a half I passed through.  I do not want to scare others out or
declare it safe, only inform everyone it is quite the adventure passing
through.  Even though I was injured falling down a steep snow chute,
tore up by thorny over growth, and had the smallest miles in all
of Washington, I am glad I did it, mostly because I can laugh a little
now and remember its beauty.  I hope they give us back this portion of
the trail, for it will be a shame to let it fall into further ruin.

I am already dreaming of next years thru-hike, where I will take the
detour [mostly because I have not seen it].  Everyone have a great hike
and say hi to the PCT for me!!!!