[pct-l] the consequences of graffiti

Brett blisterfree at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 23 12:56:57 CDT 2007

Unfortunately, and this has been shown to be the case in cities like New York, graffiti begets graffiti. And similarly, vigilance against graffiti artists (ie, removing graffiti quickly and assiduously) actually works - eventually the perpetrators move on to easier targets, someplace else. The presence of graffiti also shows a strong correlation with crime; it seems to serve as a subliminal cue that "it's safe to commit a crime here." But again, wipe out the graffiti problem, and the criminal element to an extent will move on too.

Although the intent of the "PCT ->"-scrawling graffiti artist(s) may be good, it should be plain to see that someone with lesser intentions saw that graffiti and thought "it's okay to express myself here too." And it's almost a given that the "bad" directly followed from the "good" in this case, and that the reverse scenario would not likely have happened.

The problem with "graffiti" on trail signs, including carvings, is that it "decentralizes" the flow of information. The written word is a loud and difficult to ignore reminder of our fellow man. For example, trail signs every few feet would be a lot harder to tune out than frequent blazes or cairns. And so we've tacitly set standards in how and where trail signs appear, and what information they convey. But when that information flow becomes bottom-up, when it's "power to the people," the signs become at best an eyesore, and at worst they send the hiker astray. And even where "helpful," marked-up trail signs are reminders of our fellow hikers - or in some cases, our fellow miscreants - and this to an extent takes away the sense that we are pioneering - that the trail beyond the signboard is wild, unknown, beckoning exploration. Instead, we're left, perhaps, to imagine some grinning oaf, hiding behind a tree with a Sharpie in his hand, somewhere just up ahead.

- blisterfree

"A rude decoration inscribed on rocks or walls" - definition of Graffiti (WordWeb)

From:
"carl myhill" <carl at litsl.com>

>>Personally I see a very big difference between someone writing 'PCT ->'
discretely, at often confusing signage, to someone writing mindless graffiti
with arrows here and there. One points the way and the other attempts to
send you wrong.<<