[pct-l] Fwd: Re: Senz Umbrella

g l gailpl2003 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 1 10:33:33 CST 2007

g l <gailpl2003 at yahoo.com> wrote:  Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2007 08:32:54 -0800 (PST)
From: g l <gailpl2003 at yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [pct-l] Senz Umbrella
To: Hiker97 at aol.com

  SB-

  It sez somewhere on their website what the specs are for the 2 different umbrellas.  If I remember, they weren't all that heavy.  The one from LuxuryLite is fine-looking but does admit to inverting.  Even tho it does no damage, I'd rather have one that doesn't invert.  I'm pretty sure the Senz is available here, but I'll have to do more research.  The first place I saw it was on "Good Morning America" several months ago.  Seems like they wouldn't show it without it being available.

  Also- received my DriDucks in the mail yesterday from Gossamer Gear.....first thing I noticed was the crappy stitching along the jacket zipper......it easily came unravelled and left the zipper breaking away from the jacket....shoddy, very shoddy.  I'll keep it, but reinforce it.  (Re-sew it!)  Shouldn't have too.  Also- the "large" pants seemed to me to have a small-ish waistband, but quite stretchy, so hopefully it can accomodate the bulk until I once again become a "lean, mean, hiking machine".

  As far as the rain skirt goes......it doesn't go with pink, fuzzy slippers..........

  By the way- place my order for the umbrella holder NOW!  I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out how to attach it to my pack and still allow it to be positioned in different spots as the sun moves throughout the day.

  Wheeew

Hiker97 at aol.com wrote:
        Wheeew writes: Hey!  The Senz is the umbrella I was thinking of using on the PCT.  Watch their video too, on the website.....very impressive.  Guaranteed not to invert in up to 70 MPH winds!  Just wondering if it's wide enough to block the deadly sun...........
  Switchback replies: I think even their mini is big enough for the sun.  I just wonder how much it weighs.  With Switchback's World Famous Handsfree Umbrella Holder, you will have no problems with radiation and greatly reduce dehydration.  Remember, umbrellas only provide some protection from rain.  You still need a rain suit or poncho system.  Along with my LuxuryLite.com umbrella, I use the GossamerGear.com rain jacket (http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/driducks_rainsuit.html) and the ULA Rain Wrap (http://www.ula-equipment.com/rain_wrap.htm).  Both these items are super light.

  Notes: GossamerGear is not going to carry the rain gear anymore and it is on sale.  I do not use the pants that come with the rain suit.  I like the Rain Wrap better. Also, I got reports from hikers in the big storms in the Lagunas (PCT Section A) last year that the Rain Wrap worked fine.

  Another thing is that I have always heard is that if it rains continually for several days out on the trail, you will get wet no matter what.  I do not have any personal experience myself with that.  Also, I spray my tent rainfly and outer clothing with a water repellent spray each spring (http://www.rei.com/product/672447).  This works very nicely for a little extra protection for the upcoming campaign.  This would be an excellent item in a bounce/drift box for a thru hike.

  Your pal, Switchback the Repellent