[pct-l] setting a trip schedule

Ned Tibbits ned at mountaineducation.com
Sun Dec 2 00:40:01 CST 2007

I was talking with my son, who wants to do the pct in '09, about daily mileage requirements to complete a thru hike of the crest and realized the issues came down to these:

    - plan for (south-north) the maximum number of days possible based on
        - your work/school schedule, money needs, etc....
        - your willingness to walk on firmer spring snow (mornings only) in May-June
        - your ability to deal with plowing through soft, fresh snow in Sept.-Oct.
        - your ability to cope with the possibility of being stopped by weather so close
            to Canada yet too far to plow on

        [ I suggested that he start April 1st and go to Sept. 1st., take spring quarter off
            school to start on time, and finish ahead of the snows and in time for fall quarter]
            - spring snow is safer than winter storms!
            - this gave him 153 hiking days/2650 miles = 17.3 miles/day, if he were to
                walk every day, which he shouldn't.

    - plan for days off or zero mileage days as often as once/week
        - 22 zeros - 153 = 131 true hiking days/2650 = 20.2 actual miles/day

The conversation paused and he asked, "Is that a mileage I can realistically do?"

So, we talked about a typical trail day based on his style of hiking:
    - awake just before dawn, breakfast and pack up just after dawn (time only matters
        out there when you've got to catch a food drop on time!).
    - hike all day, take lots of breaks to photo, eat, explore, sleep, soak feet, ect..
    - set up camp around sunset, kill all the mosquitoes in the tent, gorge food, check
        maps, write notes, hit the sac..
    - daily hiking hours will be somewhere around 10-14
    - speed will be somewhere between 2-3mph
    = possible daily mileages will be 20.2 on the slow day (statistically, only), there-
        fore able to do once strong enough.

Now, that brought up the realization, "What if I hiked faster, once strong and in shape?
    What happens if I get ahead of schedule? I know I'm going to find my own rhythm
        somewhere between 20 and 30mpd...."
The answer was obvious, "More zeros, son! More time to enjoy the mountains!"

    - find out how many miles/day you can do, now, and consider you'll be able to do
        more once you're stronger, after a week or three.
    - train with your pack on, the only way to strengthen the specific muscles for hiking.
    - start your trip slow; it's ok to rest often. Gradually increase your daily mileage

Unless it is your intention to go fast, take it easy and enjoy your trip! On this one, it's
    only important to have fun, be safe, and go the distance!

Got that?

mtnned

For Information on Programs, previous Trips, and Photo Gallery,

Please visit: www.mountaineducation.com