[pct-l] Veena hiking solo

RUTH WESTON ruthweston38 at msn.com
Sun Dec 2 13:17:06 CST 2007

Dear Veena:

In a nutshell, YES, it's safe to hike alone whether going north, south, or sideways. I have found backpackers to be helpful, friendly, if not a bit quirky. I don't worry about them. You do have to carry a grain of caution in the back of your mind when dealing with everyone else. If you do a trail journal, don't disclose specifics of your itinerary. Don't camp near roads or in campgrounds if you're alone. If you meet someone who makes you feel hinky, ask if they saw your hiking partner up ahead or wave and call out as if you see someone familiar up the trail. A little caution goes a long way; don't let it consume you and you'll have a great time.  Ruth