[pct-l] Ok, i give...this is my take on speedhiking

Greg Kesselring gkesselr at whidbey.com
Sun Dec 2 15:26:36 CST 2007

hmmm...   I can see your point.  But I can also see both side of the
fence here, because I like hiking with a goal in mind and I also like
going out just to go out and immerse myself in the beauty that's out there.

I think the response you will get is why should you care whether they
get a lot of satisfaction out of their achievements?  That's their
thing, one of the reasons they get out on the trail.  For me, it doesn't
in the slightest lessen any of my own achievements, or lack thereof.  My
reasons for getting out are my own and it doesn't matter to me whether
someone has done the trail in 5 days that I'm about to take 10 days
doing.  I will enjoy my hike and do it the way I want to do it, fast or
slow or in between.

I see it as just part of human nature.  If someone gets a sense of
satisfaction out of setting goals and achieving them, even if those
goals are to break a speed record (either their own--a PR--or someone
else's), then it's natural for them to feel proud of that fact.  And to
talk about and wow others with that achievement and even to think about
the next one, breaking their own record, etc.  That's just the nature of
the competitive spirit...

Now, you could argue that talking about these kinds of records has no
place on this forum, and I could see your point.  On the other hand, I
for one actually enjoy hearing about these athletic achievements.  I
find them exciting and inspiring, so from a selfish perspective I hope
to see posts about records and speed hiking and fast packing on this
forum along with all the other posts about hiking the PCT.

So in summary I'd say apples are apples and oranges are oranges and you
just can't compare the two.  Sometimes I like an apple, sometimes an
orange.  One is not better than the other, just different.

Greg