[pct-l] speed hiking, zero days and crawling along slowly

g l gailpl2003 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 2 20:28:46 CST 2007

Yeah, I have a neighbor that does a tri every week during the summer- he's 70 years old.  He can run circles around me, and I'm  much younger.  However when I pass over my backpack to him when we hike up the local ski hill, I skunk him every time.

My point has NOTHING to do with which sport we're talking about.  I'll just leave it at that.

I hear running can be very stressful on knees, ankles and hips too.  I know quite a few athletes that have had to quit because of those issues.  And I don't believe you have to be "in the know" to figure out that cycling is fundamentally different than running, which is ABSOLUTELY fundamentally different than hiking.  And from what I've witnessed, the primary reason for giving up a thru is the lack of intestinal fortitude, not knees, ankles or hips.  The rest of us just keep hiking thru those issues regardless of our pack weight.

What year did you thru the PCT Brick?  Did you cross train for it?  How did it work out for you?  Your advice would be much appreciated.

And that's my last word on the subject!

Wheeew

Brick Robbins <brick at fastpack.com> wrote: On Dec 2, 2007 3:55 PM, g l  wrote:
> My point is this:  If a cyclist rides with a #20 pack on, for say, 3 months
> along side a guy who does the same ride for 3 months, and then the guy with
> the pack takes it off, he'll likely ride faster and farther than the other
> guy.  His muscles, cardio, etc will be up for the challenge because his
> system has adjusted to that load.

I cycle too, (and swim, yes I'm a tri geek now) and cycling is known
to be fundamentally different from running/hiking by the folks in the
know. Cyclists don't have the same connective tissue issues that
runners do. The Triathlete's call cycling "non weight bearing." Yes,
cyclists cardio and muscles are strong, but those are not the things
that end a tru hike. Knees, ankles and hips are the problems.

You will note that "stage races" are common in cycling events, but NOT
in perambulating events.

Lighter saves joints.