[pct-l] To Ursack or not to Ursack

Len Glassner len5742 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 20:52:28 CST 2007

>The inter agency Ranger Station at Lone Pine would only issue permits
to hikers with a Garcia or Bear vault food container if they were
hiking through the Rae Lakes basin in 2007. >

Well,if you are saying they wouldn't give you a permit if you had a
2007 model of the Ursack, that seems bizarre to me.  The
sierrawildbear.gov site says nothing about this, last I looked.
There was no mention of this at the PCT KO.

I guess I was an outlaw when I hiked through that area this year.  I
got my permit at Bishop.  I told the ranger what I was carrying a new
Ursack and they had no problem with that.

I'm the not-so-proud owner of both a 2006 and 2007 Ursack.  I agree
with you - when the other bear can vendors offer fee exchange programs
on failed models, it makes Ursack look like....but when it comes to
carrying a bear can, I'm not carrying an ounce more than I have to.
At least I didn't have to invest in another metal liner.