[pct-l] Ok, i give...this is my take on speedhiking

Len Glassner len5742 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 22:07:44 CST 2007

>> But, i think this is why speed-hikers get a negative
> response from many non-speed thru-hikers: by saying
> that completing a trail in a record time is a great
> achievement, there's a SLIGHT implication that going
> less fast is less of an achievement.

Mark,

It IS less of an achievement.  In the sense that hiking can be a
competetive sport.  In the sense that completing any distance in
record time, doing anything is at all, an achievement.

(Night hiking, on the other hand, is a perversion of all that is good
and true.  This cannot be disputed.)

Perhaps thru-hiking should be viewed like sex:  The longer you can
keep it up, the better. (However, any thru-hikers experiencing a walk
longer than five months should seek medical help.)