[pct-l] Winter PCT hiking

Ned Tibbits ned at mountaineducation.com
Tue Dec 4 12:08:54 CST 2007

If you expect to encounter snow on your trip, train for it! Learn how to
walk on, in, and thru it with confidence. No more fear.

The PCT in winter is simply awesome!

Here are the basic rules:

    * You CAN stay warm and dry!
        - dress in layers
        - avoid sweating as much as possible
        - when you fall down, brush off right away
        - avoid wetness-causing hazards:
            - buried creeks
            - idiot-makers on tree branches
            - avalanche prone and icy slopes
            - deep snow spots/drifts that can slow your feet and cause a
fall
        -at breaks, layer up right away
    * Avoid ( recognize in advance) snow dangers:
        - avalanche prone and icy slopes
        - buried creeks
        - buried branches, logs, rocks that could cause a fall
    * Learn how to self-arrest, walk on snowshoes or skis on ice,
        pick a safe route, and navigate on snow.

Remember!  There's no dirt, bugs, bears (for the most part), or fire
    restrictions when snow camping!

For Information on Programs, previous Trips, and Photo Gallery,

Please visit: www.mountaineducation.com