[pct-l] The Trail Calls

hiker97 at aol.com hiker97 at aol.com
Tue Dec 4 16:10:00 CST 2007

Wheeew wrote:?I climbed Mt. Whitney a few years ago, in just the manner you describe.? Spur of the moment decision.? Didn't have the proper gear.? Did my first ever glissade coming off the mountain.? Bad, bad move.? I'll write the gory details another time, but suffice it to say that a man died the next week, doing the same thing in the same spot that I glissaded.? His wife had to be airlifted out.? It was quite the ordeal.?
Switchback replies: Yes, I remember that death.? When I am out on the trail, I am a chicken.? I am very conservative.? I do not do anything that seems dangerous.? Every time I get back from an expedition, I wonder why I did that.? I should be playing golf.? But the trail calls and I must go.? Why is that?? This is not normal.? There is some strange pull to the ancient times of our ancestors.? A pull to the adventure of the trail.? Weird.