[pct-l] hiking speed

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Thu Dec 6 06:45:08 CST 2007

NED,
I have thru-hiked the JMT nine times at various speeds and the Grand
Canyon rim-to-rim 3 times  &  the rim-to-rim-to-rim 2 times in one day
and the same trails at a slower pace.
First of all, as you know, high milage days does not have to mean racing
through the wilderness, although it can be that, it could be the result
of better time management (less down time and longer hours).

On my fast packs I focus heavily on time management, light pack and
hiking at a very fast pace.
Am I less aware of my surrounding?....I don't think so.
I am blessed with good balance and nimble feet and can move fast without
having my eyes glued to the trail.
My eyes are forever scanning the surrounding terrain.
If  I do twice as many miles in one day I will see twice as much
wilderness an terrain that day making the hike more panoramic.
By moving  swiftly and quietly I seem to see more wild life and since I
am traveling ultra light when fast packing I don't necessarily have to
be more fatigued at the end of the day unless I go for the extreme but,
I think you are focusing on fast packing not the the extreme...no?

JMT Reinhold

NED WROTE..................When your hiking fast, how do you know if you
are missing anything as compared to hiking slower?
Has anybody out there done the same trail section at different speeds
and noticed any difference in awareness of the environment?