[pct-l] Hiking Speed - The Data

Mike Saenz msaenz at mve-architects.com
Thu Dec 6 11:00:38 CST 2007

As some of you know, I carry a GPS on my trips. Not for navigation, but
for the "Trip Data" it provides.

My trips fall into two categories- My solo PCT walks and my
"destination" hikes (peak bagging, finding place with special
significance and returning to my favorite spots, etc.). When I'm walking
the PCT, I usually do this solo for a couple reasons- my "destination
trip" hiking buddies turn their noses up when I suggest hiking through
the desert or burn areas, and more important- I'd much rather walk at my
own pace, stopping when I want to and lingering at a spot for as long as
I like. I find that if I hike with others, I feel like I should stay
together with whoever I'm out with. For me, keeping together means I'm
either trying to keep up, or deliberately slowing down. Both exhaust me
quicker than if I'm walking my own pace.

When I walk the PCT, I go UL because I want to walk all day. When I'm
out with others, I take my "luxury kit" because I know I'm not doing big
miles and the campsite scene is one of the goals in itself.

Here's my consistent data:

When going UL, My average walking speed is 3 MPH and 2 MPH on steep
climbs (descents vary wildly for some reason).

When I have my heavy pack, I'm hiking 2.5 MPH and just a tad under 2 MPH
on climbs (again descents vary)

A half-mile and hour is a big difference over an eight hour day! On
climbs, I tend to just head-down and grunt uphill, so I think the very
slightly less speed is due to the extra weight causing me to stop and
rest a bit more often.

So going UL definitely increases speed (at least for me, though I
suspect I'm not the only one). But the experience isn't noticeable
different. I can't tell the difference in how the scenery goes by
between 2.5 and 3 MPH. For me UL allows a more leisurely "walk" verses a
strenuous "hike". One's not any better or worse an experience for me. I
enjoy just being out there no matter what the goal is at the end of the
day.

My two cents.

-cheers

Oilcan

Michael Saenz
Associate Partner

MVE Studio, Inc. | Architecture
Irvine + Oakland + Honolulu

1900 Main Street, Suite 800 | Irvine, California 92614-7318 | T
949.809.2700 | www.mve-studio.com <http://www.mve-studio.com/>

  <http://www.mve-studio.com/>

mailgate1.mve-architects.com made the following annotations---------------------------------------------------------------------The information contained in this e-mail message is confidential and is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not an intended recipient or if you have received this message in error, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copy of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify us by return e-mail or telephone if the sender's phone number is listed above, then promptly and permanently delete this message. Thank you for your cooperation and consideration.