[pct-l] hiking speed

Brick Robbins brick at fastpack.com
Fri Dec 7 13:36:22 CST 2007

On Dec 6, 2007 12:02 AM, Ned Tibbits <ned at mountaineducation.com> wrote:

> Reading over an observation Brick made a few days ago about growing strength
> making for easier, longer days, I wanted to ask the question,
>
> When you're hiking fast, how do you know if you're missing anything as
> compared to hiking slower?

I am *NOT* hiking faster.

I am hiking the SAME SPEED. I am just hiking LONGER DAYS with less
stress on my body because of a lighter pack.

However, since the hiking with a lighter pack makes me less tired, I
spend more time with my head up looking around than some other hikers
might spend with a heavy pack. With less wear and tear on my body from
a heavy pack, I personally feel less need to spend zero days in town.

Of course you can over do the light gear thing, like I think Bob Hotel
did, as chronicled in "Soul, Sweat & Survival on the PCT." He carried
so little that he felt the need to spend many more zero days in town
than the typical thru hiker that year.

I admire Jim & Jenny for spending more time on the trail by slowing
down on the trail, but how many thru hikers do that, and how man spend
their "zero days" in town?

So is a 5 month hiker with 30 zero town days really spending more time
in nature than a 4 month hiker with no zero days in town?