[pct-l] New PCTatlas maps

Brian Lewis brianle at nwlink.com
Sat Dec 8 03:18:10 CST 2007

Scott of Postholer said:

"If I'm not mistaken, the new PCT guide books coming out in 2008 are a major

overhaul over the previous books."

At the PCT Trailfest in Seattle in March, Ben Schifrin said he was at that
time focused on the OR/WA guidebook, and that he was shooting to have it
updated by about ... now (Christmas).  He said he planned to update both
California books in time for Christmas 2008.   No one explicitely asked, but
my sense was that by "update" he was talking about coming out with a new
edition.

I just checked the Wilderness Press website, and don't see any mention yet
of an 8th edition of the OR/WA guide.  I.e. at this point it looks like the
7th Edition (published October 2004) still remains the current/latest one.

I, however, am holding out on buying a second OR/WA book (to cut up) for my
2008 thru-hike attempt.  Hopefully there will be an 8th Edition within the
next few months!

In terms of a "major overhaul": I didn't hear anything about that. The one
note I did jot down was that UTM tickmarks will be added to the edges of the
maps.

	Brian Lewis