[pct-l] Air search

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Sun Dec 9 16:26:00 CST 2007

Good afternoon,

For signaling purposes the military has used the VS-17 Conspicuity Panel.  I
love that word, "conspicuity", its so .. conspicuous.  The VS-17 is about
 20" x 72", which is approximately the size of a ground cloth or a full-size
sleeping pad.  The colors of the thin foam sleeping pads that I use aren't
very conspicuous, so I carry one of the little emergency-size Mylar Space
Blankets.  For flash-signaling, a Mylar Space Blanket alone would be
wretched.  The stuff is so light and filmy it would be like trying to flash
an arm-load of fog.  If I had to use a flash-panel, I would fold the bright,
colorful Mylar around the drab sleeping pad, and gather the extra Mylar in
two bunches in back to use as hand-holds while flashing the panel.  I've
tried it at home and it seems to work, but fortunately I haven't never had
to try to attract a Blackhawk.

Steel-Eye