[pct-l] Question about food

Liz Mares azlazorra1 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 10 16:24:24 CST 2007

I fell in love with some Hazelnut Coffee at home, but once on the trail, I couldn't stomach it!  Just the thought of it made me gag!  I think your body detoxifies when you are hiking so your food preferences can change.

  I don't use powdered cows milk but I found a product I really like.  It's Coconut Milk Powder from Wilderness Family Naturals, Finland, MN.  I can add it to coffee or cocoa and it's so yummy and adds some good fat to the diet.  I use it for granola or oatmeal and in protein shakes.  The only drawback is that it doesn't mix very readily in cold water.  Either boil a little extra water at dinner and add that to a container or do what I do for my morning protein shake.  I mix my shake at night with the coconut powder and vigorously shake, then by morning after sitting all night and another quick shake, it's ready to drink as I'm packing up.

  ~~La Zorra~~

"Donna \"L-Rod\" Saufley" <dsaufley at sprynet.com> wrote:
  As a section hiker, I find that my need for calories is not that high when I start out, but steadily increases. At best, I can choke down 2,500 calories when starting out, but I have to force myself. After 300 miles in the Sierras, I still could not eat and did not want the 3,500 calories I originally planned and packed for, and dumped a whole lot of food in hiker boxes (much to the happiness of others) along the way. Granted, YMMV, but 6,000 calories sounds like a lot of food to eat and carry if your body isn't asking for it yet. Many hikers find that the monster appetite doesn't kick in until after a month or so.

For this year's stretch continuing in the Sierras, I planned on 2,500 calories, but found that I couldn't stomach the same foods I'd enjoyed the year before, and really lost my appetite at altitude. I would up eating about 1700 a day. My husband, who planned a 3,000 calorie diet, found that what he planned wasn't enough for him and subsequently became the beneficiary of my discards. He thanked me for carrying his food . . . but the final insult was that he lost weight and I didn't!

So, I guess what I'm saying is that you really need to your tailor the plan to be able to respond to your body's needs, which may differ as you progress along the trail. You don't want to be cut short, but you also don't want to be tossing food out at every hiker box. Liking your food is so important, so being able to resupply along the way helps you respond to what you want and need.

L-Rod