[pct-l] Question about food

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Mon Dec 10 18:00:55 CST 2007

On Dec 10, 2007, at 2:25 PM, Scott Bryce wrote:
> It is estimated that a through hiker burns about 6000 calories per day
> on his hike. Do you carry enough food to consume 6000 calories per
> day,
> or do you carry less, and make up the difference during town stops?

I don't think any thru-hikers actually carry 6,000 worth of calories
per day.  I also think that burning 6,000 calories is probably on the
high side but certainly possible on long days or days with lots of
elevation change (or both).

Andrew Skurka has some good details about the calories he burns on
his 30+ mile days at his web site. See:

<http://www.andrewskurka.com/advice/nutrition.php> and
<http://www.andrewskurka.com/GWL/diet.php>

I think most thru-hikers would agree that after being on the trail
for 4-6 weeks they run a calorie deficit every day that is payed off
at town stops.

Radar