[pct-l] To sue or not to sue

Donna "L-Rod" Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Mon Dec 10 21:18:31 CST 2007

That would be my guess.  Opposition to a proposed sand and gravel mine adjacent to Agua Dulce (just down the 14 freeway) has kept that project tied up in court for years now. The City of Santa Clarita, also adjacent to the mine, has been footing the bill on the legal battle, but it has taken many disparate groups uniting, piling on buses down at the board of supervisors hearings, to fight them.  Other proposed mining projects in the area have been watching that one closely as it will establish a precedent for those in line behind. Up in the Jawbone area, there are very few residents and I'll wager no deep-pocketed municipality willing to step up and fight.  They (the mining company) probably thinks they can scare off opposition standing in the way and get their permits to operate.

L-Rod