[pct-l] NBs' and other lightweight shoes

g l gailpl2003 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 13 10:39:07 CST 2007

Steady Sr.

Thank you for a second opinion on the Hi-Tecs........and a good review at that!  I am always amazed when hikers spend more $ than necessary on "high end" boots that don't deliver anything more (and often less) than the cheaper boots.  Besides, I like to support gear that is well made.  I have used Hi-Tecs for years and will continue to do so unless their product is somehow corrupted or quality lessened.

I felt the same way about my old Eureka tent.  In 1991 (thru on the AT) I carried a "Rising Sun" I think it was called.  At 3 lbs it was the lightest free-standing tent on the market.  I loved it!  But "Eureka" wasn't then (or now) a "cool" name, so I didn't see another single one on the trail.  The North Face and Sierra Designs were big.......but they weighed as much or more, and/ or weren't free-standing.  (I'll carry the extra weight for a free-standing tent).  Anyway, that tent never leaked or failed in any way!  It was only destroyed when my daughter's dog attacked it while we were gone, thinking someone was inside probably.  Here's my point:  now I find 16 years later, that Eureka doesn't make a single tent as good or as light as they did back then.  Bad marketing move.  In the meantime, I bought a 2 man The North Face tent, which is only a couple years old, and the poles need to be re-shock-corded already.  Crappy materials IMO.  That shouldn't happen, and never
 happened with my Eureka, in about 5000 miles of hiking.  (AT and many other jaunts).

I'm just sayin'.............

Wheeew

Rod <rbelshee at hotmail.com> wrote:       I've used eight pairs of trail runners (five pairs  of New Balance, three Montrail Hardrock) and two lightweight goretex boots (one  Hi-Tec and one Vasque) on various long distance hikes. With my wide feet, I have  fewer choices than folks with average feet.

  I like the trail runners for desert  conditions, but prefer a lightweight goretex boot in the wet Washington  conditions. The tread of the boots also gave better traction than  NB.

On the PCT I developed plantar  fascitis, which I blame on inadequate support in the New Balance. On the CDT I  added custom orthotics and avoided that problem.

 The Montrail Hardrocks wore out quickest, followed  closely by the NB. The goretex in the both boots failed after 500-600 miles. The  cheap Hi-Tecs were just as good as the expensive Vasques.

 I might try the Inov-8 Mudclaw next, since it  combines a lightweight upper with a heavy rubber sole.

 I tried sandals but they don't work for me --too  much fussing with sand and dirt and too much sock washing.

 Steady Sr.