[pct-l] NBs' and other lightweight shoes

Ken Powers kdpo at pacbell.net
Thu Dec 13 11:39:35 CST 2007

We have used NB trail runners since the 801's in 2000. A couple of models we liked less than others, but they all worked for long hikes for us. As a boy scout leader I hiked in boots for the added support. Now I enjoy the lighter trail runners with sock liners and don't miss the support. Probably because my pack is 25 lbs lighter. I think my ankles and knees are much stronger now also.

We do not remove our shoes to cross streams and find our feet dry quickly in sock liners and trail runners. Our feet generate a lot of heat when walking.

We also do not carry camp shoes. When we get to camp at night we take off our shoes and crawl into our sleeping bags. No need for the extra weight of camp shoes. (Do you realize Croc's weigh a whopping 12 oz?)

Ray Jardine's rule of thumb is that every pound on your feet equates to 5 pounds on your back. We've worked hard to pare our gear weight down and shoe weight can have a major impact on gear weight.

Ken
PCT2000, CDT2002, AT2003, ADT2005, 1/2PCT2007