[pct-l] NBs' and other lightweight shoes

Clayton Dewberry cjdewberry at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 13 11:51:06 CST 2007

I've got ankles that live to twist...kind of bites!
So, after MRIs and too many podiatrist visits, I've got the following going:
1. Orthotics
2. Hely & Weber lace up ankle supports w/ X-wrap and optional stays on the outside
3. Kick ass Vasque mid height light hikers.

I trail walk/jog in this setup and haven't had a twist in a couple of months, versus seems like every
six weeks before.  Yeah, I look like Rocky, but people seem to leave me alone.  The lace up ankle supports
really tighten everything up.  I've not had any issues w/ blisters and have hiked a couple of hours in this get up.

I would anticipate something like this on the long walk as I can twist my ankle on a crack in sidewalk it seems.

Cheers,
-cjd
Lurker

Message: 18Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 23:50:51 -0800From: RJ Lewis <karmagurl at rainierconnect.com>Subject: Re: [pct-l] NBs' and other lightweight shoesTo: Phil Baily <pbaily at webuniverse.net>, pct-l at backcountry.netMessage-ID: <4760E45B.5070108 at rainierconnect.com>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed I plan on a 3/4 lighter weight boot for the desert section, switching to a full height boot for the Sierra north. My feet and ankles are worth it. Been trying out some Merrell's just for fun, to see how they feel and wear, and plan on the trusty Vasque's for my heavier duty work in the mountains. Always did say that if you treat your feet right, they will treat you right.....seems to hold true, especially on the long trails. I'll leave the shoes to the youngins and trail runners with sub 10 lb packs. While I don't want lead weights attached to my feet, I do want stability and a good foundation under me. I'll carry the extra weight of water sandals, and take the time to swap em at stream crossings if I need to. After all , it's MY hike, right? HYOH!! ;)