[pct-l] Manning Park British Columbia Snowshoe Trek

n7rr at pocketmail.com n7rr at pocketmail.com
Fri Dec 14 07:40:25 CST 2007

>From December 22nd through December 26th Margaret Prior K7MWP and Bruce Prior
N7RR/VE7HR will be snowshoeing on the Windy Joe Trail, which is the northern
segment of the Pacific Crest Trail.  We will be pulling our gear in a Buggaboo
Buggy <http://buggaboobuggy.com/expedition.html> snow-sledge as well as
dragging backpacks mounted on children's flexible snow sliders.  Unless we get
storm-bound, most of our ham radio operation will be after dark, since we'll
need to take advantage of as much daylight as we can.  We are both members of
the Polar Bear QRP Club <http://www.polarbearqrp.org/>, so we'll be using our
Polar Bear numbers and our yet-to-be-announced Polar Bear names on the air.

Our frequencies will conform to the new IARU Region 2 Band Plan for QRP centers
of operation:  3.560 MHz, 7.030 MHz, 10.116 MHz and 14.060 MHz

The exchange will be:
Callsign
Name (either regular or Polar Bear)
Polar Bear Number, if applicable
4-character or 6-character Maidenhead Grid

Here's an exchange example, as if we were operating from the Manning Park Lodge:
VE7HR Bruce PB 75 CN99ob
or
VE7/K7MWP Margaret PB 90 CN99ob

For an easy way to determine your 6-character Maidenhead Grid, go to:
http://www.qrz.com/gridfinder
and enter your address.

Margaret and I will be announcing our new Polar Bear names during this operation
by including them in our exchanges.

Equipment:
Elecraft KX1,
Small Wonder Labs DSW-80, DSW-40, DSW II-30, DSW-20,
supplemented by our RockMites SOS packages circa 3.560 MHz, 10.106 MHz and
14.060 MHz in case of mishap with our other gear.  Note that the the 10 m
RockMite is on the old 10 m QRP frequency.

My cousin wrote from the lower Rio Grande that the words "snow" and "camp"
should never be put together in one sentence.  Oh, how wrong he is!  He should
have known better.  He used to be on the ski patrol at Sun Valley, Idaho.

73, Bruce N7RR/VE7HR