[pct-l] NBs' and other lightweight shoes

RJ Lewis karmagurl at rainierconnect.com
Fri Dec 14 15:59:54 CST 2007

Well, so far that is my plan, but plans can and do often change. I know
I won't be using shoes, but will try and keep my boots as light as I can
without sacrificing support or safety to my ankles or feet. Taking good
care of my feet is a priority to me, and as such, I haven't seen a
blister on my feet in years of hiking long or short trails. Hot spots
are taken care of immediately, so that they don't become blisters. I too
am anal about wearing clean sox every day and keeping my feet clean....I
think my grandmother had something to do with that. *L* I plan on
remaining flexible throughout my hike, so that if I need to change
things, I can.

So far, what I like about the Merrill's are that no real break-in seems
to be necessary- they are comfy right out of the box- whether they are
the shoes or boots. Kind of nice! The boots have a goretex bootie in
them, making them waterproof, but I did treat the leather boot also. The
sole is a nice grippy Vibram sole, and doesn't seem to slip even on
slippery floors after coming in out of the rain. Even wet rocks don't
make this boot slip.  Nice! Will take it out on the local trails and see
how it handles when the rain stops for a few hours.......(if it ever
stops that is....) The boot has a nice roomy toebox so those of us with
wider feet have wiggle room....and not an overly expensive boot
either....hrm..this might work! We will see though.....They are probably
a bit on the heavy side for you lightweight folks. They sure are comfy
though!!!