[pct-l] water treatment - Clorox

g l gailpl2003 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 14 18:39:27 CST 2007

Campy-

  I am impressed with your post.  Getting down to the microbe level and delving into all the biology of it is meritous!  Thank you for the indepth report!  Well done!

  Famous communicater???  I had no idea, but I thank you!  And all this time I thought I was just one of the "poster children"  (those with the most posts)!  :-)

  Thanks again,

  Wheeew

Campy <campydog at verizon.net> wrote:
    Seems that Clorox did add a whitener, but I think its still primarily sodium hypochlorite - it sure smells like it.

  The water to be treated which is listed by Clorox is (potable) water, not wilderness water. Organisms which are listed within http://www.clorox.com/products/faqs.php?prod_id=clb don't include any of the protozoa and bacteria which cause our problems in wilderness water.

  Problem causers include: Giardia lamblia and Giardia l. cysts, Cryptosporidium, Entamoeba, and Taxoplasma cysts (these don't all occur in one location).

  In past testing, a few drops of chlorine bleach has had little effect on the resistant cyst stage of Giardia, for example, which is found in stream water. I would expect that this is still true.

  Polar Pure is one manufacturer of a kind of treatment based on a nascent Iodine (aqueous) solution, and this works given sufficient dwell time and a water temperature which is not too cold. It is sort of ferocious and can penetrate the hard cyst, killing the Giardia organism. However, this treatment may miss the goal if things don't work out perfectly.

  Filtration is an old standby method used for western wilderness water, and this may leave one each Giardia organism present in a liter of water following treatment, or possibly none at all. Recall that no filter guarantees better than 99.9% effectiveness. That's how the one odd organism sneaks through. Fortunately, clinical testing has resulted in the notion that more than one organism is required to cause illness. I visualize that you need a half a dozen or more ingested within a day's water intake, and releasing themselves successfully from their cysts, to become meaningful. It is another matter whether these six will proliferate and make you ill, or fail to attach by their little suction cups to the small intestine and slide right on out.

  More can be said, but as is succinctly stated by a famous communicator: wheeew!
  ==^===Campy
www.trailprojects.com click on PCT
www.trailprojects.com/dif_log070805.html for info on PCTA crew
water filtration system

Time spent doing trail work shall not be deducted from your life!
===^==