[pct-l] Snowshoes and the JMT

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Sat Dec 15 11:51:22 CST 2007

Good morning, Chris,

In late July through August about the only snow you're likely to find on the
JMT will be some patches of hard coalesced snowpack from last year.  It can,
and probably has, snowed on every day of the year up there, but in that
season snowshoe-accumulation would be very rare.

Several years ago I wanted to retire my big, old, "experienced",
wood/rawhide snowshoes so I went through the usual due-diligence in
investigating a more modern pair.  I finally settled on the Northern Lites
Quicksilver-30 which weigh in at 45.0 oz. per pair including the bindings.
http://www.northernlites.com/backcountry.php#quicksilver30  Just before I
placed an order I looked on eBay and found an almost-new pair for a sweet
price and got them instead.  I really like them even though I'm a good bit
less than their 175+ pounds rating.

Steel-Eye