[pct-l] RE; Mountain House Pro Pack Meals

stewjohns at comcast.net stewjohns at comcast.net
Tue Dec 18 13:44:04 CST 2007

Ollen writes:
I had been planning to take MH Pro Pack meals along on my Sept 2008 Oregon
PCT section hike, as the primary hot meal at the end of the day.  I've read
more than one favorable review of these products, especially for the
lasagna, the stroganoff and the beef stew, and they're packaged to be
particularly compatible with the JetBoil Personal Cooking System (which I
also plan to take along).  But, at ~$6/meal, I was going to hold off a while
before buying them.

I too like the Mountain House meals, but for some reason, they give me terrible gas.
Also the three you mention are my favorites too, but I gotta tell ya, after a week of eating
those things you lose your appetite for them.  They just don't pack any punch, and you feel
hungry again shortly after eating them.  Kinda like Chinese food.

Btw, Rei has some good deals right now on all kinds of stuff, and if you are a member, you know that you will
earn bucks towards your dividend check.  Around Feb, they send you a notice on how much your dividend is, and you can use it towards future purchases.  This year I got $180.00, and for the next couple of months, I got stuff  for free.(I usually spend about $100.00 a month there).  So if you are going to buy backpacking stuff, I would strongly encourage you to join the co-op (if you haven't yet) cause it definitely pays to.

Doc Holiday