[pct-l] PCT-L Newbie Question WRT N-S thruhike

Jim and/or Ginny Owen spiriteagle99 at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 18 20:54:57 CST 2007

Thumper asked: 1.  What are the rules or guidelines for a southbound thru-hiker similarto the northbound hike?  Obviously I'm referring to the calculationassociated with snow pack and departure from Kennedy Meadows.2.  What are the other considerations for a SB hike that makes itgenerally less favorable over the NB trek?**************************
A few thoughts:

When we hiked in 2000, we only met 4 southbounders (all started June 18) and as far as I know, none finished - though I'm not sure about that.  It is more unusual to complete a southbound hike.

Southbound hikers start in mid-June and usually have some snow to deal with the first couple of weeks.  This makes a hard start to the trail, since you aren't usually in the best shape starting out.  Wallowing in snow when you aren't in good shape can lead to injury. (OTOH, CDT SB hikers start with snow and they survive.)

Autumn storms in the Sierras are unpredictable.  Coming thru in September is a crap shoot.  Probably okay - but not always.  Autumn snows usually melt off fairly quickly, but it can scare hikers off the trail.
NBers get the desert in bloom.  They also have more water - remnants of winter rains.  That isn't the case for the SB.  By late fall there's not usually much water in the desert.

Generally no water caches for SB hikers and some of the water sources at picnic areas in SC may be turned off.

Solitude is more of an issue for SBers.  It is hard to not have a community to share the experience with.

Hiking south can be something of an anticlimax.  The southern desert isn't nearly as scenic or interesting as the Washington mountains and the endless winding can get really tedious. It is hard to stay motivated.

Ginny
http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/