[pct-l] seeing the crest

Paul Magnanti pmags at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 19 09:37:43 CST 2007

>>So, my next question is, when you hike quickly, attempting to do higher mileage days,
>>why do the other senses get forgotten as you look back?

See that is the fallacy. Higher mileage days does not necessarily mean "fast hiking".

As has been said previously, not everyone falls into the 4cyl /8 cyl dichotomy.

Some of us just chug along all day and repeat like a sturdy 6 cyl jeep. :)

I have enjoyed trips where I've camped more than I've hiked. The long time hanging around the campfire. How inexpensive wine tastes like the finest
vintage after lugging it in after 10 miles. Enjoying star talks from an astronomer friend. It is all good.

But I love walking more. The simple pleasure of putting one foot in front of another all day. The simple pleasure of walking from dawn to dusk. A simple pleasure of seeing
the day unfold from beginning to end.

 I do not forget anything:

The feel of the wind near sunset in the desert.
The smell of sage brush at dawn.
The sight of a  vibrant carpet of wildflowers in the mountains.
The  sound of elks bugling up on the divide.
The taste of  ripe huckleberries with juices rolling on tongue.

What I've noticed in all these slow vs first, short days vs. long is this sense of judgment.  That somehow "Hike your own Hike" means
"Hike your own hike...but my way is better".

It is just walking.  Enjoy your hike...and assume that other people are enjoying theirs too.  Just because someone likes strawberry ice cream that does not mean chocolate is not
any good. :D

( I am not aiming this e-mail at anyone in particular. This conversation comes up often on ALL the hiker boards. Just some observations I've made over the years).

--Thoreau
http://www.pmags.com