[pct-l] pants...

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Wed Dec 19 17:54:36 CST 2007

Good evening, Kim,

My belt pack, butt-pack, fanny-pack .. or whatever,  is a JanSport 150 cu. in. model.  I like its relatively small size because if I have limited space I'm not tempted to carry extra junk.  I like its tapered shape because it doesn't hang forward, get in the way, or flop around.  I've had several of that model, but this one was new for the '07 hike.

It has been modified somewhat.  First, the belt has been modified to move the snap-buckle around to the right, front edge of the pack rather than leaving it in back where it can be pressured by the backpack.  The small compartment in front has been lined with pieces of 5/16" thick closed cell foam from a retired sleeping pad.  My little Canon PowerShot SD-600 camera rides well-protected, but handy, in that padded compartment.  I carry one spare SD memory chip behind the padding in that same compartment.

The top of the main compartment has had small webbing sleeves sewed front and back to which I attach a digital wristwatch, in lieu of the wrist straps.  The main compartment has had several small bias-tape loops sewn inside to which I can attach the tether of my credit-card sized billfold.  There's a small sewed-in snap to which I can attach the tethers of my tiny Swiss Army knife, and my Photon LED pinch-light.  I also sewed in a sleeve to hold a half-length lead pencil.  Other items in the compartment are a Chap Stick, a Geko GPS, the water disinfectant and DEET bottles, a small pad of paper, and a little Ziploc bag with a few NSAID tablets.

The zipper pull of both compartments have been modified with pieces of Velcro fuzz tape, while Velcro hook tape has been sewed to the pack at the closed end of the zipper.  I did this after having found the zipper slides adrift a few times.

This little pack carried some important items, so I maintained the discipline of (almost) never taking it off regardless of where my backpack might be.  These modifications probably sound like a real pain in the exhaust system, but I found it worthwhile and I would do so again.  On my hike preparation B-list was the intention to reverse-engineer the pack and make a new one of ultra-lite SylNylon, thereby saving an ounce or two, but I didn't around to it.  The only other thing I would change is the sleeve that holds the pencil:  It's too snug, and when DEET from my fingers softens the paint, the pencil it has the disagreeable habit of sticking fast in the sleeve.

Enjoy your preparations,

Steel-Eye