[pct-l] Bounce Bucket

Barry Teschlog tokencivilian at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 19 18:26:36 CST 2007

I have to echo Wandering Bob's comments about gross overkill on the 5 gallon bucket.  I'd strongly suggest paring down the amount of stuff in the bounce box if a person needed a 5 gallon bucket to hold it all.

  The 13x11x3" flat rate boxes have the advantage over the other size of coming with self sealing sticky strips in them.  No tape required.  Get a fresh one at each use and no label is required either.

  I fit lots of stuff into one of those boxes:
   - Guide, data and Yogi book pages
   - Spices to refill the small containers I carried.
   - Extra contact lenses
   - Extra items I was forced to get in town (3 pack of mini toothpaste - carry one, extras into the bounce box, for example).
   - Extra clothes at times (spare shirt, socks, etc)

  I generally sent 2 or 3 towns ahead - it's easy enough to carry pages, spices and the like for 10 to 14 days.  You'll also be able to judge if you'll get caught by a weekend and adjust where you send your box accordingly if it's only a couple weeks ahead max.

  I terminated my bounce box at Sisters - carried pages from there to Cascade Locks and sent the rest of the pages there or further north into Washington with the supplies I sent to White Pass, etc.  Remaining items were either sent home or put into the hiker box.

  TC