[pct-l] [PCT2008] Insulaton Layer

g l gailpl2003 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 19 22:11:10 CST 2007

Very good points Frank.  I will be carrying my MSR Hubba free standing tent.  (Heavier, but a feature I insist on).  Not sure yet about a pad.  I've been trying to find one that I saw once.  It was a fairly large "egg crate pattern", I think it was blue on one side and gray on the other, and it maybe folded like a Z rest.  But memory may be faulty.  At any rate, it will be a "Z" something.  And yes, I agree.....I insist on being well prepared for any weather emergency.  As long as a down jacket will do that, I guess I'll be safe.

Thanks,
Gail

Frank Martin <sriprank at yahoo.com> wrote:                               Before purchasing an insulation layer you should look at your
 shelter/sleep system an determine exactly what part your insulation will
 play in the total equation.

 So are you using a tent or tarp or tarptent?  Floor or floor-less?
 Inflatable pad or foam.  What is temperature rating of your bag.  All
 temperatures rating are not the same.  The bags made by Western
 Mountaineering, Feathered Friends and the high end Marmots (Hydrogen
 and Helium) are considered 'conservative ratings'. I have never used
 them but the new 800 down Montbells look good. Your sleeping bag is
 your last line of defense.  In a worst case scenario and you are
 caught in a storm in the Sierra or Washington you want to be able to
 wait it out and be safe and warm.  Hopefully this won't happen.  If by
 chance it does you want to be prepared.

 I carry only one insulation layer and that is a down jacket.
 Personally I have never had a problem with my down getting wet.  Or
 course most of my hiking is in the Sierra. My shelter is very minimal.
  I use the Six Moon Designs Gatewood Cape.  This is essentially a
 poncho-tarp so this functions as my rain gear, shelter and pack cover
 all in one.  This is not for everyone. For a thru-hike I will use a
 30-40 degree sleeping bag or quilt and a very small foam sleeping pad.
 With this setup I need a heavier down than the Montbell.  They do make
 a fine product.

 Currently I am using a hooded PHD Minimus.  I needed a hood because
 my quilt has no hood.  It is made in UK and I purchased it on their
 sale when the $ was stronger than now.

 So rather than looking at your insulation as a separate piece of
 equipment take a look at the total package.

 I think the majority of people will spend the greater part of each day
 hiking.  So for the much of the time your insulation really comes into
 use at the start and end of each day.

 frank

             __._,_.___                                                 Messages in this topic           (1)                                          Reply           (via web post)           |                     Start a new topic
                                 Messages               |    Files               |    Photos               |    Links               |    Database               |    Polls               |    Members               |    Calendar
                                                   MARKETPLACE

---------------------------------
Earn your degree in as few as 2 years - Advance your career with an AS, BS, MS degree - College-Finder.net.

---------------------------------

                                                 Recent Activity

           13
       New Members