[pct-l] Spira shoes for JMT?

Brian K Sanders bksanders10 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 20 08:51:19 CST 2007

Hello,

  I've been whittling away (medical limitation) at the JMT and am looking forward to completing my last 90 or so miles, Muir Trail Ranch to Whitney, in the future.

  I have the pedestrian version of the SPIRA shoe brand and like it. The shoes have springs built into them and are supposed to reduce shock on heel strike and return energy (like spring-loaded hiking poles, I guess) I was wondering if anyone on the list has used SPIRAs, such as the Genesis 2, on the JMT or PCT?  Again, I'm just looking for the shoe to hold up for my MTR-Whitney hike. I searched the archives and couldn't get a hit...

  This page has the Spira Men's Genesis 2, and shows the sole pretty well:
  http://www.planetshoes.com/itemmatrix.asp?groupcode=683

  This is the Spira webpage, which explains the spring technology:
  http://www.spirafootwear.com/technology.html

  BTW: I am in no way associated with Spira Footware or PlanetShoes, and have been a reader, and sometimes poster, to the pct-l since 1998.

  Thank you,
  Brian
  60mi JMT 1999 Happy Isles to Reds Meadow with Vasque (like Breeze Low style)
  60mi JMT 2004 Reds Meadow to Muir Trail Ranch with Vasque (like Breeze Low style)