[pct-l] hiking kilt

Rick Ostheimer rick.ostheimer at sbcglobal.net
Sat Dec 22 13:35:32 CST 2007

That's the one I'm wearing, Moondog.  I wore the mountain hardwear on the AT and I like the sportkilt version better (having tried it out on some winter hikes in PA)---it being plaid and pleated and all.  Plus there's a little more material so you can sit spread-legged and still be discreet. ;-)

I'm having a hard time imagining the skeeters being worse that in eastern PA, but I've seen pics on the 2003 video of swarms flying around PCT hikers, so maybe a need a backup plan or lot's of DEET for my legs.

Handlebar

Moondog wrote:

I too, have considered the hiking kilt. I met an AT thru-hiker while on the
Long Trail in Vermont, and he swore by it. makes sense, really.

He had the old mountain hardwear kilt, which seems to have been
discontinued.

no matter, i might just purchase this bugger:

http://www.sportkilt.com/departments/mens-sport-kilts/hiking-kilt-casual-kilt~1.cfm

a little more traditional, you could say. it is no more expensive than the
macabi kilts.

and good call on the 'skeeters: perhaps i should just put pants on for the
high sierra. if not, that could get, uh, *ugly* in a hurry.

best to all,
moondog