[pct-l] linen shirt in the desert

AsABat AsABat at 4Jeffrey.Net
Mon Dec 24 16:33:16 CST 2007

I have done this in the desert in warm weather. It's very stylish hiking
through the desert in a long sleeve white Botany 500 or Van Heusen
shirt. I've used both 100% cotton and a cotton-poly blend. I rip the
seams under the arms out for more ventilation, and can open or close the
front buttons for ventilation. The long sleeve keep the sun off my arms,
and the white reflects the sunlight. BUT, when they get wet (even from
sweat) and the temperature drops or the wind picks up, you can get cold.
Have something warmer for the evenings.

On a thruhike, though, you might be switching shirts back and forth. The
desert sections are broken up by mountain ranges, Laguna at 6,000 feet
and down to the desert floor the next day, across the Mojave and then up
in to the Tehachapis.

AsABat