[pct-l] linen shirt in the desert/more kudos for silk

Marion Davison mardav at charter.net
Tue Dec 25 17:38:26 CST 2007

Donna Saufley wrote:
> Also consider silk shirts, which can be picked up at a thrift store cheap.
> They have all of the properties you spoke of, however, are a useful base
> layer in that silk, like wool, retains its insulative properties when wet.
>
> L-Rod

I second the motion for considering silk shirts for hiking
in the hot, non-humid climate in California.  We hike
exclusively in voluminous long sleeve silk shirts.  They
have the following pros:
They are cheap at thrift stores, especially the really gaudy
fun ones.  So you can start collecting them now and stuff a
few in every resupply box.
They are very loose fitting, therefore keeping most of the
mosquitoes at bay.  I only spray my hands, neck, collar and
hat brim when wearing a silk shirt.  Pop on a headnet when
you hit one of those bug-infested swamps.
They let all the cooling breezes thru, which is great on hot
days.
They dry very fast.  You can rinse out all the dirt and
sweat from your shirt each evening and it will be dry in
less than an hour.  They also dry very quickly on your body
if you get sweaty, so you don't get chilled when it cools.
The long sleeves also keep off the sun and save you from
scratches from bushes and ticks.
They weigh almost nothing and stuff to a miniscule size.
I wear silk all the time because it feels so good on the skin!
They have the following cons:
They are not I repeat NOT the least bit durable.  The first
thing to go is under the arms.  The fabric under the pack
straps will tend to shred as well.  Solid color shirts last
a lot longer than prints--something about the process of
making the print seems to weaken the fabric.
There is just no way to repair them when they rip.  It would
be like sewing kleenex back together.  So we wear them until
they are too tattered to put on, and throw them out at each
resupply. That's why we need about six shirts apiece for a
typical 30 day section hike. It is easy to shred three silk
shirts in a 2 week period.
We did a day hike in Montana last summer, where it was hot
and very humid.  The long sleeve silk shirt was totally the
wrong thing there.  I was desperately trying to vent body
heat all day in my usual hiking get-up, which works so well
in the non-humid Sierras.
Marion