[pct-l] Winter Backpacking: PCT? Elsewhere in the desert?

Patrick Beggan meta474 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 21:07:05 CST 2007

Hey guys. I'm going to have 3 weeks free from around the beginning of
January until maybe January 30th and I wanted to a nice long
preparatory backpacking trip someplace relatively free of snow (that
is, no snow deeper than I can walk in with boots). I was thinking
somewhere on or near the southern PCT but I also realize there was a
good amount of fire damage down there.

Anyone know where I could spend three weeks that is passable without
snowshoes or skiis? I considered the Arizona trail but I don't know
how that would work out, I don't know very much about the Arizona
trail and the data on the internet is relatively sparse (as compared
to the PCT or AT). I was also thinking about spending some time
around the grand canyon, since that seems large enough to support
three weeks of backpacking.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm pretty much open to anything.