[pct-l] trekking poles and water caches

Mann bmann1 at san.rr.com
Sun Dec 30 00:27:13 CST 2007

My husband Scout and I thru-hiked the PCT last season, and we rarely used
trekking poles.  We carried them through most of the High Sierra, where we
used them for stream crossings and a couple of times to help cross snow
fields.  For that, they were helpful.

But we didn't use them for actual hiking.  We've both done a lot of
backpacking since the 60's (Scout) and 70's (me), never with poles, and so
they felt odd.  They were a bit hard on my wrists, and I found I had to
watch the trail too closely in rocky areas, paying attention to where I
planted my poles.  We also liked being able to munch on snacks or carry an
umbrella as we hiked along, which would have been difficult if we were using
poles.

The best advice is to try them out on hikes beforehand.  We had done this,
on some dayhikes and weekend trips.  We WANTED to like them, as we had heard
they helped minimize stress on knees, but they never felt comfortable and
seemed to inhibit our natural rhythm.  (BTW, I found that when hiking
without poles my hands swelled for the first couple of weeks, but not after
that.)

With regard to water caches:  We used them this past year with no feelings
of guilt or that we were being weak or lazy.  I am old enough that I don't
feel a need to prove anything to anyone.  I knew which caches were fairly
reliable, and where the alternate off-trail water sources were, if a cache
was empty.  We tried to make sure we didn't have to take much water,
especially from caches that are not right along a road.  We hiked smart to
minimize our water loss.  It had been a very dry spring in Southern
California and many normally-reliable natural water sources were dry. The
caches saved us some time and energy, and we appreciated them.

I think it's quite unfair to disparage the trail angels who stock the
caches.  Sure, they feel good about helping hikers out, so what's wrong with
that?  It makes me feel good to help out hikers by hosting them in San Diego
and driving them to the trailhead.  I don't think that means I'm trying to
exercise control over anyone or pander to them.  The most wonderful thing
about the trail is being part of the PCT community, both hikers and those
who support them.

Sandy Mann (Frodo)