[pct-l] hiking POLE

David Hough on pct-l pcnst2001 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 30 09:37:23 CST 2007

An alternative seldom mentioned is using just one
hiking
pole.    I seem to be almost the only person on the
PCT
doing that (though I do find a few people with one
wooden staff).

If you want to go faster or build up your strength,
use two poles.     If you want to go slower down steep
or slippery places, use one.     That way you have a
hand free for camera, umbrella, etc.

The Leki Sierra Photo is an example.    The feature of
using it as a monopod for a camera is less useful than
I thought it would be... I am usually in too much of
a hurry.

But my gripe with most of them is that they collapse
at
inopportune times, especially dicey water crossings.
I will have to try Black Diamond next time that are
supposed to be immune to that.