[pct-l] walking poles

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Sun Dec 30 11:57:33 CST 2007

Good morning, Steve,

While I've hiked the west over the last 45 years I only began using hiking poles in '05.  I hiked all of the Oregon and Washington PCT without them, and did well.  That was the correct choice for me at that time.  Now, age has a lot to do with my choosing to use poles.  Not being quite as agile and flexible as I once was, I find I like the additional stability.

I use jointed poles, but the feature is a bit of a waste because the only time I changed the length was when I fully collapsed them for hitchhiking.  I'll probably find a pair of lighter, fixed-length, poles for the future.  I don't use the shock-absorbing feature, and I saved weight by removing it from the poles that I used on the PCT in '07.  I think shock springs are mostly a marketing-driven feature, and I don't like the squishy feel.  Besides, the little shock springs can attenuate force over only approximately 0.5 inch, while the human upper body structure can attenuate force over 10 to 20 inches.

Some hikers insert their hand through the hanging strap loop and grasp the pole.  In that way the bight of the loop is around the bottom of the wrist.  I don't like that feel and geometry, so I insert my hand up through the loop and grasp the two sides of the loop as well as the pole.  In that way the bight of the loop is above my wrist.  I much prefer the resulting force distribution and the way the pole can pivot during a stride, particularly when going down hill.

While I initially used the wrist straps, I soon removed them entirely to save weight and improve convenience. I find the straps are a nuisance when I want to use a hand for something else.  Without the straps I can instantly shift a pole to the opposite hand when needed.  I've never had the least wrist strain for want of the straps.  I initially worried that without straps I might loose a pole if I lost balance on slippery terrain so I made a lite-weight pair of mini-bungee tethers to loosely secure the poles to my wrists.  They worked fine, but I didn't use them on the trail.

I use the poles to erect a tarp .. on the rare occasions that I actually did erect the tarp .. but for many years I got by using whatever sticks or trees were at hand and suffered only minor inconvenience.

Steel-Eye