[pct-l] Yellow-legged Frog Closure

Donna "L-Rod" Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Sun Dec 30 15:22:03 CST 2007

I understand that the section is closed because of the need of a bridge over the creek at the bottom of the canyon to protect the riparian environment where the frogs reside.  I don't believe they intend to relocate the trail. Because a bridge will cost money and take effort, it's been on the back burner. The closure also cuts off access to the Burkhart Trail, which goes over the range to Devil's Punch Bowl.

As a side note, tens of thousands of acres of the Angeles NF, north of the PCT below Mt. Pacifico down to Little Rock Dam, have also been closed, shutting down a large multi-use recreational area from public access, also to protect the frogs.  Seems the frogs trump everything, even green sticker money.

Unfortunately, while their journeys are more prolonged adventures, the thru-hikers are a tiny fraction of the users of trails in the Angeles, and even of the PCT where they are outnumbered by day and section hikers by a wide margin.  The average day hikers in the Angeles still have plenty of trails to roam, so don't complain much about the PCT closure.  Most of the thru-hikers who do have to suffer through the road walk wind up going home wherever that may be and getting on with their lives, and typically have limited or no involvement with issues affecting the trail.

The PCTA has been hiring section managers in recent years to have a presence to interface with the agencies and address concerns like this and have a coordinated response.  I'm passing this onto the manager for the SoCal section.

L-Rod