[pct-l] Lightening Rods....

Daniel Bailey greenhiker at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 13:58:15 CST 2007

> Question:  Does anyone know if Titanium is any safer than any other metal
during a lightening storm??

Titanium is more conductive than aluminum, which is what many trekking poles
are made of.  With regards to lightning, I wouldn't classify any metal
trekking pole as being safer than any other type.

Think of it this way, would you stick any type of trekking pole into an
electric socket without expecting a shock?

As it passes through the air, lightning is looking for the path of least
resistance to the ground.  This path may be your trekking pole, your entire
body, or even a wooden hiking stick that was picked up at the trail head.
Most solid objects provide less resistance to air and this is why lightning
will typically strike the tallest object in a given area.

Be well,

Senator

Message: 9