[pct-l] Starting out late?

stillroaming pct at delnorteresort.com
Thu Feb 1 14:16:56 CST 2007

In '05 (a very heavy water year) I started on May 15th. I only went as far
as Cajon Pass, though. So I can't speak for the conditions between Agua
Dulce and Kennedy Meadows.

In my opinion, you won't have any problems. Some days were hot, but not
memorably hotter than starting on May 1st in '02. I met only about 12 thru
hikers along the trail between Campo and Big Bear. In a low snow year you
would expect to meet fewer folks that late.

The absence of crowds did not go unnoticed starting that late. You may find
that a blessing or a curse depending on your nature. If you need reassurance
or a sense of security you'll hate it; if you're comfortable in your own
skin, you'll love it.

Journal and photos from '05:
http://postholer.com/stillroaming

I am going to be graduating from college on May 13th, and starting
either the 14th or the 15th down in Mexico (depends on how quick I am
able to get my dorm room cleaned up and packed up).
Will anyone else be starting late this year, or because of the light
snow pack (so far) will most people be starting much earlier this
year? Are there any problems associated with starting later like
this? (I am not going to plan on there being any water caches left)

If anyone has started late before and has any advice, or will be
starting late this year, please let me know.
<<<<