[pct-l] Let's Fish II

Jeff Moorehead jeffmoorehead1 at cox.net
Mon Feb 5 16:59:25 CST 2007

Keith,
 Don't feel too put off by the naysayers on the list concerning your desire
to fish along the way. I support you in your choice here. I walked the trail
last year and arranged for my fly-rig to be picked up in Kennedy Meadows.
That's the best place to start with it-- there's nothing before that of
interest to an angler, unless you could sneak in to the Whitewater Trout
Farm, and this is not recommended. I caught my first 3 fish in Monache
Meadows the day after leaving KM. L-Rod can confirm-- she was there on the
first night of her  JMT thru hike. The fishing was spectacular throughout
the Sierra. In particular, there are many native trout streams on either
side of all the major passes covered by the JMT (make sure and stop in
Vidette Meadows and Palisade Creek canyon).
  My entire fly rig was less than 1 pound. I had a 4-piece, 3-weight
Redington rod and the smallest of the Scientific Anglers plastic reels. I
could rig it up in 5 minutes tops. Carry an extra leader, some tippet, and
of course your fly box and you're ready to go. If you don't know how to fly
fish, get a book or a video and go out into your backyard and practice until
you can get a basic cast down. You don' have to be an expert to enjoy fly
fishing in the Sierra-- the trout are very "forgiving" (read HUNGRY) in
terms of sloppy presentations or choice of fly.
 Beyond the Sierra, the opportunities to fish become somewhat sporadic and
unpredictable. In many northern California segments , the PCT stays high on
the crest, seldom accessing any of the lakes below. Also, lakes are very
rare where the predominant bedrock consists of extrusive volcanics. However,
just when you're ready to pack your pole back into the bounce box, intrusive
granitics reappear-- along with lakes and usually trout. Don't ever pass up
the opportunity to fish the rivers in the bottom of the deep Nor Cal gorges
(Middle Fork Feather is a good example). There is a stretch in southern
Oregon called the Sky Lakes Wilderness where you'll want to have your pole
and take the alternate route described in the guidebook. It takes you down
and around these lakes. In general however, the PCT route through the the
Oregon and Washington Cascades does not consistently offer good fishing
opportunities. You won't be too regretful if you send your rig home at
Crater Lake.
 Have fun researching, purchasing, learning, and finally, fishing! Your
first trout (even if it is the only trout) will make the entire process
worth it.
Whiptail