[pct-l] Fishing along the trail

Tom Simon tomsimon at cogeco.ca
Tue Feb 6 17:30:42 CST 2007

Just a note to Keith and others who were interested in fishing along the
trail. . .
I learnt a modified way of fly fishing of sorts that works. Until I learnt
it, I was fishing with small lures and getting nowhere with the fish in the
Sierras who do not know what to do with a lure - they just follow it to
shore and stay about 2 feet behind it. So a couple young guys taught me a
very effective way to fish. You get a very light collapsible rod and a small
reel - together they weigh less than a pound. Then you tie a clear spherical
bobber that splits in half about a few feet from the end of the line,
filling it half way with water for weight. At the end of the line, tie your
fly on. Throw it all out and the bobber looks like a bubble to fish. I can
easily catch several trout for dinner in less than fifteen minutes.
Only thing is, you have to end up in the right camping spot near a lake at
the end of a days hike and have the energy left to fish. I found that this
did not work out too often if trying to walk 20 plus miles per day. There
are not many opportunities to fish before the Sierras, so you might want to
get your gear at Kennedy Meadows or so.
Good luck and good eating,
Tom