[pct-l] A little input needed.

stillroaming pct at delnorteresort.com
Tue Feb 6 21:09:17 CST 2007

Like Matt said, gaiters are really a style choice more than a necessity.

However, I would not trundle through snow without them, especially wearing
just shorts. You will find that snow is very abrasive next to the skin, hour
after hour, day after day and your legs will become raw.

In the desert I do not use them. Yes, they keep debris out of your shoes,
but gaiters also detract from ventilating the shoes/feet. I'd much rather
stop periodically and clean out my shoes.

That's my take, your mileage will vary.

Scott

I never used Gaiters on the AT and I did not see or have any need for them.
Now there was no snow, well a dusting of snow, or desserts on the AT, will
this or other factors create a need for Gaiters on the PCT?
<<<<