[pct-l] Nunatak USA Bag Report

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Wed Feb 7 07:25:58 CST 2007

Good morning, Georgi,

I believe you may be remembering something called Ensolite, which was one of
the first closed-cell foam products regularly used by hikers.  I well
remember how pleased I was to get my first piece back in the late '60s or
early '70s.  Prior to that I carried an air mattress or usually nothing.
Enosolite was very good insulation, but it doesn't measure up to some of the
current foam products.  It has a wonderfully smooth surface which seems to
scratch and abrade easily, plus over time it became thinner in the important
pressure areas and it did not rebound.  That 3/8" pad could easily end up
1/8" thick at the hip and shoulder areas.  I think the Ensolite product is
still available, but it has been surpassed by what I consider to be better
foams.

By the way, I recently looked at foam pads at REI and I don't think I would
use one unless I were desperate.  They seem to have been sliced off a big
block of foam rather than having been manufactured at the necessary
thickness.  The result is, even though it is closed-cell foam, the cutting
process leaves the entire surface somewhat fuzzy which can retain water that
would be very difficult to wipe off.

Steel-Eye