[pct-l] Gaiters...

Matt Bradley mattbradley1 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 10:29:30 CST 2007

As long as everyone is talking up the benefits of gaiters I figure that
someone had better give the other side of the issue some air time.  In 2005
I hiked all of southern California in Trail running shoes (Montrail Vitesse)
and never used gaiters.  I would definitely use this strategy again.  I did
have some irritation from the foxtails but it was always through the mesh on
my shoes and not up at my ankles where the gaiters would be.  One likely
reason that I didn't have this problem is that I had low ankle socks
(reducing the amount of exposed sock) and I mostly hiked in long pants for
protection from the chaparral, UV rays, and to reduce water lost through
perspiration.  Using loose polyester hiking pants is almost certain to be
more comfortable than wearing high gaiters because of the breathability.
OTOH wearing shorts and low gaiters is definitely going to be more
ventilated but it has the disadvantages of exposing the legs to chaparral,
UV rays and additional water loss through perspiration.  FWIW
Peace and Love,
Matt

--
Matt Bradley