[pct-l] HYOH

Mark Jernigan footslogger03 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 8 09:11:42 CST 2007

May seem funny but you'd be amazed at the number of people who DO tell others HOW to hike.  Most of it is with good intent but sometimes it comes across as "MY WAY OR THE HIGHWAY".

  'Slogger

Bill Batchelor <billbatch at cox.net> wrote:

Is it just me, or does the phrase "Hike Your Own Hike" make you laugh? I
find it funny because it is TELLING someone how to hike. While trying to be
a phrase about doing our own thing, setting our own goals, accepting our own
limits; the phrase actually is telling someone else how to hike! This is
such a perfect example of current American cultural it is almost iconic.

I mean really, if another person wants to hike their hike by judging others,
finding ways to feel superior, deciding on the rules and who is following
their version, etc., they are hiking their own hike. It is a rather
self-righteous, boisterous, and judgmental hike perhaps, but it is theirs.
I think in the face of such an attitude it is more productive to focus on
ourselves as a form of deflection rather than to try to change the other
person.

After kicking around variations I think the better catch phrase should be,
HMOH for "Hike My Own Hike". So, I insist you use it (my American right to
do so).

BillB

unsubscribe or change options: