[pct-l] Huge Powerlines Crossing the PCT in San Diego

Campy campydog at verizon.net
Thu Feb 8 12:37:15 CST 2007

My memory from so long ago might get me into trouble now, but does
anybody remember when the Sierra Club proposed a Federal Wilderness
addition just south of Fort Irwin and along the MWD power lines there?
I recall learning then that the MWD had a policy in effect which
prohibited the Wilderness to encroach within, I believe, a quarter mile
of their towers. Possibly it was a Utilities Commission rule. The
proposed solution was to cherry-stem the power lines with a corridor a
half mile wide. The MWD rule on this was based on a somewhat startling
safety aspect. They said that if a power line broke, it could whip off
of not only the nearest tower, but possibly also from one a quarter
mile away. It could mow down people or anything within the length of
the loose line. Thus they refused to support any Wilderness land with
people on it closer than 1/4 mile away.

I just bring this info up, thinking that if it's still true, it might
be put to use in some way, either to help or hinder the San Diego
utility's plans. Don't they get power from MWD? I know they get their
water from them.
==^=== Campy